Finding processing for your submini film can seem impossible.  You have successfully jumped the hurdles of finding film and cassettes, and then fuguring out how to actually take pictures with your submini.  Then you find out that no one in your town will process the film and make enlargement.  How frustrating!  But chances are it doesn't have to be that bad,  Sure, you might need to send the film out for processing, but the good news is that there are places that will process it.  The first place to try -- of course -- is the SPONSORS section of the SUBCLUB.  These are businesses that specialize in submini services.  They know what is involved and will not think you are crazy when you ask for submini processing.  

When looking for processing servcies, a lot depends on the type of film you use, the film size you are using, where you live and other factors.  For example, 110 film is still being manufactured and just about every place that processes film can process 110 film as well. Some places may not make enlargements, but it should be easy to find a place that does.  Minox film is also still being made, but you might have to send it to a processing center if you do not live in a large city.

Processing and enlarging of 16mm film is more complicated. Although 16mm film is still made, it is frequently movie film or microfilm and only specialized processing houses can handle these types of film. However, many labs that will handle 110 film will process regular 16mm film once they learn that 16mm film is the same width as 110 film.. Since the same chemicals are used, for both films, you should be able to get your 16mm film processed if you talk directly to the lab's Processing Manager -- going to the drug store to discuss these finer points will get you nowhere!  If you are using B&W 16mm film, you may encounter another obstacle. Since 110 film is not available in B&W, the places that process 110 will probably not want to process your B&W 16mm since they would have to remove all their color chemicals from their processing machine and refill it with B&W chemicals that they are unfamiliar with and probably don't even stock.

If you want prints (or enlargements) from your 16mm film (whether color or B&W) you will run into another obstacle. Even if you find a place to process your film, they probably won't be able to make prints, since they are unlikely to have a negative holder the same size as your negative. While the 110 negative holder that the lab has is 13x17mm, your 16mm images are probably 10x14mm, 12x17mm, 14x14mm, 10x10mm or an even more unusual size.

These are all good reasons why to stick with the SUBCLUB SPONSORS.  They know what is involved with submini film -- it's not just a sideline for them.  For example, check out PM FOTO.  They can handle just about any film format from Minox to 4x5.  They offer B&W film processing, enlargements, and even digital transfers and scanning.  Also check out The Covert Camera.

No matter who you use, return of your used cassettes is very important, for obvious reasons. If you don't specifically state that you want your cassettes back (and make a big deal about it), you may find yourself out of luck. Better yet see if they will accept the film out of the cassette, in sealed 35mm canisters. That way you get to keep the cassettes yourself and can use them while your film is getting processed. P.S. Don't be surprised if you are asked to pay more for this special service!

If you have any ideas, suggestions or comments about these pages, please contact the Sub Club at the FRONT DESK.

To return to the main index for the Sub Club click here.

COPYRIGHT @ 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 by Joe McGloin. All Rights Reserved.